Re: weird zsh startup behavior

On Sat, Aug 09, 1997 at 05:11:53AM +0000, Geoff Wing wrote:
> John M. Harres <harres@xxxxxxxx> typed:
> :On Fri 8 Aug 1997, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> :> > Does anyone know under what circumstances zsh will change directory on
> :> > startup?  I was in root under sh, ran zsh, and zappo, switched directories,
> :> > and not to root's home directory.  Both home directories are automounted.
> :> We can only fix this problem if you provide more details about the
> :> problem.  What zsh version, OS, OS version, libc version, compiler are
> :> you using?  Can you reproduce this with zsh -f?  If not, try to find the
> :> command in you startup files which triggers the problem.
> :Sorry, brain on hold.  zsh 3.0.4, Solaris 2.5.1, gcc-2.7.2.2, whatever libc
> :Sun ships withe Solaris 2.5.1.
> :Reproduced with zsh -f:
>
> Can you reproduce it with "zsh -f" and no /etc/zshenv?

Ack, I never wrote the list about this, did I?

I saw this on a similar setup - Solaris 2.4, home directories automounted,
zsh 3.0 betas I think.  I no longer have access to this system, so I can't
double check the details, but they're not terribly important.

The problem was an assumption made in zgetcwd(), which didn't hold with
the automounted home dirs.  I don't seem to have the patch I made, and I'm
going on foggy memory here I'm afraid.

Anything that caused a zgetcwd() would end up *changing* the current
directory.

Looking at zgetcwd, I'm thinking that the false assumption was that only
one mountpoint could have the same device number ("if (sbuf.st_dev == dev)
goto match;" around lines 178-179 in 3.0.4:compat.c).  With sun's
automounter, with multiple directories from the same device mounted into
the same directory, this wasn't true.  I assume my fix was to check the
inode too.

Sorry this is so vague and wishy washy, but hopefully it will save some
time tracking down the details.