PATCH: complete-history

Peter Stephenson (pws@xxxxxx) wrote:
> Adam Spiers wrote:
> > While we're on the subject of patching zle_tricky.c etc., has
> > anyone had a chance to try my dabbrev patch yet?  I'm quite keen
> > to get some feedback on it.  Should I release it to zsh-users
> > for testing if everyone here is too busy to check it out?
>
> I haven't tried it because I assumed it did the same job as my
> completion patch where you can bind special sorts of completion to a
> key (zle -C complete-history -H '' 0; bindkey "\M-/"
> complete-history).  Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick?

Nope, I don't think you did ... I guess the moral of this story
is, if you're a newbie who asks on zsh-users whether something
is possible, gets no response and decides to write a patch to do
it, join zsh-workers before you start work on it rather than
when it's ready for release :-/

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where can I get your
patch?  It sounds a bit more generalised than the one you posted
here dated 16th Jan 1998.  My patch is very similar to the
latter, with some small differences:

- yours is probably better, as you know far more about zsh
  internals
- yours doesn't have a reverse-complete-history thing (correct
  me if I'm wrong)
- I introduced an extra state to `validlist' so that if you
  press M-/ and then TAB it reverts to the normal completion.

--
Adam Spiers, Computing Officer, New College, Oxford University, UK **
cello/modern jazz/juggling/cycling/Perl/Linux/Quake fanatic, M$ hater