Re: PATCH: suggestion for new glob modifiers

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:

> 1) A new glob modifier that allows to make the resulting list sorted
>    not only by name. The syntax is `Oc' where `c' is a character
>    saying how the list should be sorted:
>
>    `n'           - by name
>    `L'           - by size (length)
>    `l'           - by number of links
>    `a', `m', ac' - by access, modification, or inode change time
>
>    The modifiers `^' and `-' are respected, so `*(^OL^On)' gives you a
>    list sorted largest file first, with files with the same size being
>    sorted by name in ascending order.
>
> 2) The second change is that you can give subscripts in modifier lists
>    which say which matches you want to get.

This is excellent --- I've been using completion trickery for things
like this, but this is very much more flexible.

One minor question is whether (Om) etc. should really be oldest first.
I can see that's logical --- `time order' certainly implies oldest
first --- but unfortunately it's the other way round from ls -t, which
is the order I've grown to expect.  I can easily get used to using ^,
though.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/