Re: Terminal problem with linux-2.0.34

vherva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The flaw in the terminal handling appears as follows: when I type text
> on the command line, only the first two characters are echoed. The line
> does show up, if erase a character. Also, the command line is only
> executed after I press return twice.

Is that the first two characters including the prompt, or after the prompt?
Might help tell if it's really in the zsh code or maybe a bug in a tty
driver.

It looks like it may be impossible to track down remotely, but here are
some other things you could jiggle to see; they are just random counsels of
despair, really.

1. Try setting TERM to something different (e.g. vt100)

2. Try resetting the terminal before each line, for example
  precmd() { reset; }    or    precmd() { tset; }
depending what you have available.

3. Try running `script' and looking to see if there's anything funny in the
transcript of a short session.  Chances are there isn't, since the problem
with `return' suggests it's not just on output.  In particular, does
deleting (which you say brings the line back) show up as anything more than
a ^H ?  Also, when you need to type two returns to get it to work, do both
show up in the transcript as ^M or only one?  (If the option promptcr is
set, you get a second ^M at the beginning of the new prompt anyway.)

4. Try recompiling with TTY_NEEDS_DRAINING defined to 1 (you can simply put
#define TTY_NEEDS_DRAINING 1
at the top of zle_main.c since it doesn't seem to appear in the
configuration stuff.)  Can't see why it should be this, either, but then I
can't see why it should be anything else.

5. If the two characters you do get on the line are after the prompt, maybe
it's connected with the `clear-to-end-of-line' you get at the end of the
prompt.  Try setting TERMCAP (if that works on Linux) to:
xterm|vs100|xterm terminal emulator:\
        :am:km:mi:ms:xn:bs:pt:\
        :co#80:li#65:\
        :AL=\E[%dL:DC=\E[%dP:DL=\E[%dM:DO=\E[%dB:IC=\E[%d@:\
        :LE=\E[%dD:RI=\E[%dC:UP=\E[%dA:ae=^O:al=\E[L:as=^N:\
        :cd=\E[J:cl=\E[H\E[2J:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:\
        :cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:ct=\E[3g:dc=\E[P:dl=\E[M:ho=\E[H:\
        :ic=\E[@:k0=\EOy:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:\
        :k5=\EOt:k6=\EOu:k7=\EOv:k8=\EOl:k9=\EOw:kb=\b:\
        :kd=\EOB:ke=\E[?1l:kl=\EOD:kr=\EOC:ks=\E[?1h:ku=\EOA:\
        :nd=\E[C:r1=\E>\E[1;3;4;5;6l\E[?7h\E[m\E[r\E[2J\E[H:\
        :r2=@kf1=\EOP:rc=\E8:sc=\E7:se=\E[m:so=\E[7m:sr=\EM:\
        :st=\EH:up=\E[A:
(I've deliberately removed :ce=\E[K: from this.)

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/