Re: Terminal problem with linux-2.0.34

"Larry P . Schrof" wrote:
> - Any time the user runs a program that makes a stat() call, the
> shell hangs forever, until the user breaks out of it. Even after sending
> the process, say ls -l, a signal, it takes awhile to get the shell prompt
> back.

Something this weird suggests zsh is tickling something in Linux, and also
suggests the only way to find out what is just painfully to comment bits of
code out until it goes away; it's probably not just zle.  (Does the stat()
problem go away if you run zsh without zle?)

I have access to a 2.0.32 system --- unfortunately it needs booting too
often to show this problem --- with zsh 3.0.2 and looking at strace I can
only suggest checking things like

- setlocale()
- getuid(), geteuid(), and friends
- isatty()
- tcsetpgrp() and related terminal handling
- getrlimit() --- if this gets a wrong type for a limit, and passes it on,
  that could cause fireworks, though why after 250 days uptime?
- termcap

I can pass on what strace is giving here for comparison, if that's any
use.

Also, it would be worth making sure it isn't in the latest development
version
http://www.ifh.de/~pws/computing/zsh-3.1.5-pws-8.tar.gz
since the stuff that opens the terminal has changed a bit.

I doubt if this is helpful.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/