Re: "cancelling" menu completion?

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> Is there any way to "cancel" completion, when meny completion is active? The
> possible meaning of "cancel" can be
>
>  - remove anything that was inserted by completion code and restore the
> original string
>  - remove the part of word being completed (possibly ignoring IPREFIX)
>
> To illustrate the latter: suppose you complete
>
>   dd if=/a/b/c
>
> and after menu completion has started, you found, it was somewhat wrong :-)
> So, I'd like to remove anything that was inserted but leave ``dd if='' in
> place.

Not yet. We have this `discussion' (well, at least we mentioned it
already) about giving information about the `current' state to
completion widgets. I.e. information like `there is already a se of
matches', `the matches are listed', etc. Then we would like to have a
way to say what should be done with this list (`ignore it, build a new
one', `use it, but do ... next', etc). Anyone who wants to think about
this is welcome.

For further information, see 5479, 5501, 5551 and probably others I
have forgotten.

Bye
 Sven