Re: PATCH: param stuff and was: PATCH: 3.1.5-pws-12: _brace_parameter

"Andrej Borsenkow" wrote:

> > It's actually completely predictable, once you know the rule.

I wrote that rather primly before I discovered the difference between
"${foo[1]}" and "${${(@)foo}[1]}" where foo is an array, which made me
rather less keen on this as a transformational generative grammar :-)

> itsrm2% foo=(axb cxd)
> itsrm2% print -l ${(s/x/)foo}
> b c
>
> itsrm2% foo=("a b" "c d")
> itsrm2% print -l ${=foo}

The rule is that, before splitting, all the words are joined together; by
default this happens with a space.  (At least some of this is in the
manual, not necessarily where you want for the present purpose.)  So in
both cases the string is first joined with a space (what Chomsky would call
a trace :-) sorry, I'm enjoying myself) and the `deep structure' is
"axb cxd", "a b c d" respectively; in the second it's then split on a
space, too.  Compare

% foo=(axb cxd)
% print -l ${(j/x/s/x/)foo

where the bit you don't see is now "axbxcxd".

> The second question is, what is applied first - flags or modifications?
> Again, after soms tests :-)
>
> itsrm2% foo=(ax1 bx1)
> itsrm2% print -l ${(s/x/)foo%%1*}

Yes, that's perhaps a bit unexpected and should be documented;
${${(s/x/)foo}%%1*} does what you might have expected.

Now I tried:

% print -l "'"${(j/x/s/x/)^foo%%1*}"'"
'a'
''
'b'
''

where the removal of the 1 seems to happen only after the splitting, so
I'm still a bit confused.

I'll look at the manual when I get a moment, but I'm trying to remember how
to minimize some functions of matrices.

> P.S. Please, don't take me too hard. But just try to pretend itself a ZSH
> newbie for a while ...

This is useful, because people keep complaining that they don't like the
documentation, and then fail to say what's wrong with it.  This way we
finally find out.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/