A couple of questions on 'bindkey'

Hi,
	I'm hacking the keymap code a bit at the moment.  Am now looking for a
way to switch between multiple keymaps which is more general than
bindkey -e/-v, and which also allows one to switch keymaps temporarily.
Two possibilities come to mind:

	o    Switching via invocation of some new 'keymap' builtin
	o    setting a magical shell parameter: e.g. KEYMAP=myemacs

	Is either of these a generally preferred mechanism?

	Also, having now ripped 'bindkey' to bits, I have the dull task of
putting it back together. And therein I was somewhat struck by the
heavyweight nature of the code which binds keys to 'ranges'.  When this
is really ever needed?  Why wouldn't a simple shell loop be a better
solution?    Clearly it's needed to support reading back keymaps which
were dumped in this format, but that seems to me somewhat redundant too.

	Would it be a good/bad/utterly unacceptable thing to remove this
functionality?  (I have to concede a hidden agenda - under my brave new
world the housekeeping to keep track of whether we're in such a range is
even more cumbersome...)

Regards

Anthony