Lack of any functionality in new completion

I suppose I must have some sort of gross oversight when it comes to
the new completion, but...It seems that I'm completely and utterly
unable to get any semblance of completion going in 3.1.5-pws-13. Mind
you, I hadn't ever gotten it working, but I figured I might as well
start at the newest. I set an fpath, used compinit -d, tried a few zle
tricks to get ^I to complete here and there, but it would seem that
when I execute compinit -d, things tend to stop working.

bindkey '^D' gives this:
"^D" _complete_delete-char-or-list

bindkey '^I' gives:
"^I" _complete_expand-or-complete

Hitting ^I/tab seems to do absolutely nothing, however. Is there
something I'm simply missing?
Sorry if this is just vast ineptitude on my part, but I guess
things just aren't going my way.

--
Josh Howard <jrh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>