Re: PATCH: matching in the new completion system

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> Peter Stephenson wrote:
>
> > It gets worse after that.  If I now go back and do /u/s/<TAB>, the whole
> > shell hangs completely and has to be killed from somewhere else.  (I just
> > started off with /u/s/m<TAB>, but it all looks similar.)
>
> Ick. I can't reproduce this, but...
>
> Are you sure it hangs? Or is it just incredibly slow? For me, the lack
> of speed comes from the size of the directories `/usr/s*'. Also, there
> was a problem with building a pattern that is used to remove unmatched
> strings over which I stumbled when trying the same (`/u/s/<TAB>'). The
> problem was that I used `${(@M)tmp1:#(${(j:|:)~tmp2})}' where I should
> have used `${(@M)tmp1:#(${(j:|:)~${(@)tmp2:q}})}' to make sure special
> characters in the filenames are not taken as pattern characters.

It's something to with the |'s.  It's trying to build a *huge* pattern like
that.  By the looks of it, it includes every single thing in the command
table.  It begins

*/(XNSquery|XNSrouted|acct|adfutil|allocp|arp|audit|auditbin|auditcat|
auditpr|auditselect|auditstream|automount|autopush|backbyinode|backbyname|
backup|bffcreate|biod|bootexpand|bootinfo|bootpd|bootrec...

These are the tail ends of the files in /u*/s*/*. The trace of _path_files
finishes up with

+ tmp1=( <all the files in /u*/s*/*, this looks reasonable> )
+ compadd -O tmp2 -F fignore - <all the commands from the last part of that>
+ [[ 423 -eq 0 ]]
+ [[ /usr/sbin/XNSquery == */* ]]

and then it stops.  The part it's doing corresponds to

    # Remove all files that weren't matched.

    if [[ "$tmp1[1]" = */* ]]; then
    else
    fi

It does seem to be due to speed.  In fact, it now takes 8 seconds just to
build all the files in the Src directory, irrespective of path completion,
which should be almost instantaneous.  I smell a rat somewhere.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/