Re: PATCH: completion in quotes

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> > This makes completion always work on whole quoted strings. It has the
> > special casing for string that start with a quote as discussed last
> > week. The code is very careful to change the word as few as possible,
> > I hope it is even better than what Bart suggested in 6471.
>
> Wow.  It looks like the compsys.yo chunk was just a repeat of the
> documentation for $compcontext, and there was some debugging code in
> _brace_parameter so it needed applying by hand, but I think it was all
> unambiguous.

Ugh. Sorry.

> > 1) The code tries to automatically insert closing quotes. This is also
> >    done during menucompletion -- is this ok?
>
> Maybe in principle this should be compstate-able, but I won't worry too
> much.

Hadn't thought of that... but I'll first let it sink in anyway.

> > 2) `compset -q' currently does nothing if the current word isn't
> >    quoted. This could be changed to always split the current word at
> >    spaces even if not inside quotes. Should we?
>
> I'd say, not until there's a clear use for this, then (presumably) you can
> share code in cases which do or don't have quotes.  The spaces to split on
> in this case would have to have been put there explcitly by the completion
> code, wouldn't they?  Otherwise they'd have to be quoted already to get
> that far.  Or are you distinguishing between "zsh -c 'echo foo'" and "zsh
> -c echo\ foo"?  Ideally those two should be split in the same way.

(I take the double quotes as being meta-characters in this case.)

This is the thing I was thinking about. Here, `compset -q' will only
return true (and modify the parameters) in the first case, not in the
second one, because the code knows that there is/isn't a single quote
at the beginning.

> > 4) I changed `_brace_parameters' to automatically insert closing
> >    quotes inside parameter expansions (`${"foo<TAB>'). This fails with
> >    completeinword if there already was a closing quote on the line.
> >    I may have to rethink something here. Maybe this should always be
> >    done automatically without the completion widget having to bother
> >    about it. Probably in a way that closes the expansion automatically
> >    only if there is no user-supplied -S suffix.
>
> It could get quite icky if you're trying to close nested things all the
> time.  Anything simple and consistent would be OK.

Btw. When the code automatically inserts closing quotes, this is only
done for one level. If you use `compctl -h' or `compset -q' to
complete parts of:

  % foo 'bar "baz<TAB>

the code inserts only the ", not "', and only if there is no other
suffix worth inserting.

Bye
 Sven