Re: Things which need doing before 3.1.6

Peter Stephenson wrote:

>   Various issues to do with parameter and memory efficiency which I've
>     been meaning to post about but still haven't

I'd like to hear about those...

Anyway, may I mention the things on my todo list here? I don't want to
say that these need to be addressed before the next release, though
(in most cases this should be clear).

We had some reports about SEGVs which I was never able to reproduce:

- Bart (5375): he had sourced compinit several times and then tried
  completion with a test-function. The completion was in quotes and
  this has changed a lot (and, of course, the other completion code
  has changed, too). I hope that the fact that we never heard about
  it again means that we don't have to worry any more.

- Geoff (5784, 5787): completion after ~/src/she<TAB> in command
  position. Bart couldn't reproduce it at that time, either. Again, we
  didn't hear more about it.

Other things:

- The globbing/completion problem on NextStep reported by Timothy
  (6333). I still don't have access to a NextStep box so I can't
  investigate any further. The problem was that globbing didn't find
  some files.

- When compiling with dynamic loadable modules for Digital Unix 4.0 I
  still need to do:

  DLLD=gcc LDFLAGS=-g -rpath foo' ./configure ...

  where `foo' is the directory where the libzsh* lives.
  I've already asked (twice if I remember correctly) if this is due to
  the installation on this system here or if this is a general problem
  with Digital Unix -- but got no replies.

- Bart suggested that we start thinking about cleaning up the new
  style completion stuff (the C part of it, like options to
  comp{add,gen} and the like), see 6159, 6163, 6178.
  There is also still the suggestion to support long options...

- Then there is my suggestions for a way to directly access the
  matches that were added (6117), which I haven't thought more about
  because I haven't missed it yet (and nobody else seems to miss this).

- We might want to add more examples for new completion, probably some
  examples for zle widgets (to get people started). We might also
  think about modifying the old compctl-examples file to make use of
  the new options (using grouping, match specs where appropriate,
  things like that). I'm pretty sure that I won't do that, though,
  since I'm using only the new completion stuff nowadays.

Bye
 Sven