Re: PATCH: 3.0.6-pre-4: COLUMNS/LINES environment handling

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
:On Jun 17,  3:39pm, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
:They most certainly are used by the shell!  LINES is now used by the code
:that displays `select name in ...' listings; LINES also determines whether
:SINGLE_LINE_ZLE is asserted; COLUMNS determines placement of RPS1; and
:both obviously affect the way multiline zle is used.

I've got some recollection of making zsh width restricted by COLUMNS.
i.e. you can have an 80 column window and say COLUMNS=20.  And back then
everything would have been fine (on every system but one Irix one, I think)
as I did some magic automargin thingy, which displayed the correct stuff
on both automargin and non-automargin terms.  Except, xterm's couldn't
do proper cut'n'paste using that trick so that got taken out.  Nowadays
if you do COLUMNS=20 on an 80 column window and your 80 column window
has automargin, then you'll lose out.
Anyway, just injecting a bit of programming history into this.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@xxxxxxxxx>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@xxxxxxxx>      Ego URL : http://pobox.com/~gcw/