Re: PATCH: completion for hosts and character classes

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> > I must have forgotten about that.  But we probably need more sophisticated
> > ways of generating host names from all sorts of different sources.
> > /etc/hosts isn't all that well used any more.
>
> Have you got any suggestions for other ways of generating a hosts list.
> The only cases I can think of where there won't be a hosts file is if
> NIS is being used or if the computer is a nameserver itself. It's quite
> easy to generate a list of hosts in each of these cases but I'm not
> quite sure how to determine when these are the case.

It's actually years since I've consciously used a machine with a useful
/etc/hosts file, now that DNS is so widespread.  The way I generate a hosts
variable is by looking at .netrc or .rhosts or .ncftp/bookmarks, depending
how I feel when I write .zshrc.  This gets a much more personalised set of
hosts.

> PS. If the patch doesn't work, check that none of the lines have been
> wrapped.

You should try and make sure you can create shorter lines by using
backslashes, or send it uuencoded or with mime quoting.

By the way, it's high time I pointed out that sending me a copy of a
message going to any of the zsh lists is futile as they get sorted into the
same folder and I just have to delete one.

Also, I'm working on compinstall, but I'm logged in from a maddening PC
terminal at a conference, so it will have to wait until the weekend.

Also, since I'm out of time, I'd also be quite glad to see some neater code
for keymaps.  Obviously this will be after 3.1.6.  If improvements can be
split into smaller chunks, that would help testing.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/