RE: PATCH: add DESTDIR functionality to install

> I've applied this, but it doesn't look like it changes any of the internal
> variables, particularly module_path, that need to know where to find things
> (and install time is too late for that), so it's not clear to my how useful
> it actually is.

The main usage (IMHO) would be for package build. E.g. with SVR4 (a.k.a. Solaris
:-) package system you could build a package out of files in current directory.
In this case the ability to have image of actual installation tree is really
useful.

/andrej