Completion listing of command options (Re: Size of select listing?)

On Sep 10,  4:23pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
} Subject: Re: Size of select listing?
}
} I don't like the mixed file and option lists [...] because 9 times out
} of 10 I don't care what the options to a particular command are and if I
} do, I'll have typed the minus already.

I tend to agree with this.  If a command *requires* at least one option
before anything else can be completed, though, it might be nice to have
more indication of that than just a beep.

} [Historically] options
} are only completed after an initial minus has been typed and long
} options, only after an initial two minuses. I also think it is better if
} the minus signs are not displayed in the lists so as to save a bit more
} screen space - I don't think they add to the readability at all.

However, I do like seeing the long options along with the short ones
after only a single '-' has been typed.  I may not remember which short
option goes with which long one, or that there is a long one that has
no corresponding short, or whatever.  Because of this, I prefer to see
the leading '-' or '--' in the listing (particularly as long as there
remain some commands that have "long options" but still use one '-' to
introduce them).