Re: Option description and _oldlist

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> bor@itsrm2:/tools/src/ntp-4.0.97f%> zsh -f
> itsrm2% autoload compinit; compinit
> itsrm2% compconf group_matches=yes message_format='%d' description_format='%d' d
> escribe_options=yes
> itsrm2% xterm -f<TAB><TAB>
> option
> -fb           -fi           -font
> -fg           -fn           -foreground
>
> As I understand, the description is expected on the status line? When I move
> from option to option in menu completion?

(Maybe this is clear already, I just wanted to mention the thing
below...)

No, they are displayed with the matches.

...interesting idea, however.

> And one more strange thing (assuming the zsh from above):
>
> itsrm2% zmodload complist
> itsrm2% SELECTMIN=0
> itsrm2% compconf completer=_oldlist:_complete
> itsrm2% patch --s<TAB> ... till you get
>
> itsrm2% patch --suffix=
> option
> --set-time   --set-utc    --strip      --suffix
>
> ENTER -> --suffix is not highlighted
> TAB ->
>
> itsrm2% patch --set-time
> option
>
> TAB ->
>
> itsrm2% patch --set-utc
> option
> --set-time   --set-utc    --strip      --suffix

(...this one.)

This is one of the things I dislike about the behavior of `_arguments -s':
to be able to display the prefix character and still complete single
letter options, we have to use display lists whenever `-s' is
used. It's just that in cases like this one you simply don't see that
it's a display list -- looking like a normal list of matches.
Since I really don't want to list options without the prefix character
(I could live with a config key turning that on/off, of course), we
would need something else here. Which brings me back to thinking about
a (set of) option(s) for `compadd' that allows us to give display
strings per match. With such display strings we could use menu-selection
(but we can't use menu-selection with the display lists we have now,
because the completion code can't find out if there is a one-to-one
correspondence between the elements of the display list and the
matches, so it doesn't know which one to highlight).
Implementing display strings is probably not too hard. Maybe we could
even have different types: strings that should be listed in columns,
strings that should be listed one per line. Probably strings in which
the `%'-escapes are interpreted (and other types of strings where they
aren't).

It would be nice to use them throughout the completion functions, then
(in the functions using `ps' this would probably be a bit hairy, but I
think still implemntable).

In another message:

> 3.1.6-pws-3 with patches up to 7750
>
> bor@itsrm2:/tools/src/zsh-3.1.6-pws-3%> zsh -f
> itsrm2% autoload compinit
> itsrm2% compinit -D
> itsrm2% bindkey -e
> itsrm2% ./configure --pre=/toTAB
> itsrm2% ./configure --prefix=/toTAB
> B-e-e-p
>
> itsrm2% ls -d /to*
> /tools

I hope this is now solved, too. At least it works for me.

And in yet-another-message:

> In my case `patch --in=/' does not work either.
>
> bor@itsrm2:~%> zsh -f
> itsrm2% autoload compinit; compinit -D
> itsrm2% patch --in=/<TAB>
> itsrm2% patch --input=/<TAB>
> B-e-e-p
>
> This is 3.1.6-pws-3 with patches up to 7750
>
> Note that both --dir or --output work; even `-i TAB' works as expected.

Can't help here either. My `patch' doesn't support `--input' and for
all other options it works.

Bye
 Sven