Re: Use of caching with completions

Adam Spiers wrote:

> Would it be worth storing the data to a file so that recalculation
> only takes place when the user says so?  After all, on many systems
> the set of man pages (say) very rarely changes.

;-) I once used this for `man'...

> Would it be worth abstracting the caching layer, so that the user can
> force recalculation of any particular data set through a standard
> interface?  Or is this all stupidly overkill and should I just get a
> life and deal with the n-second pause (where n is small) the first
> time I complete man pages/rpm packages/Perl modules etc. etc. in a new
> shell? :-)

Hadn't thought about generic support for caching (well, only in the
context of moving (parts of) `_argument' into C-code).

Now I'm dreaming again: if we had a generic package system, even with
dependencies between packages, we could have a `cache' package and
make completion depend upon that...

Sigh.

Bye
 Sven