Re: PATCH: _cd

I wrote:

> This discussion about `don't always include the directoies from
> cdpath' made me think that this probably should be configurable in the
> new system. I haven't done that yet, though, because maybe this could
> be done together with the other changes for `_files' (using the same
> config key, I mean). And btw. this config key (`path_merge_*' or
> whatever) should probably allow to define this on a per-command and/or
> per-pattern basis. Which almost looks like a task for an array or
> association. Hm.

I've just stepped back some more...

Some time ago we had some people here asking if it were possible to
see first only, say, `*.tar' files and then hit some to to get the
directories. Now we have this discussion about showing options or
not. Why not combine them? What I'm thinking about is a combination of
a completer that would be stuck in front of the `completer' key and
uses some config keys and/or parameters/arrays/whatevers to set up
some completion-system-global parameter(s). These are then used by all
completion functions concerned to find out which matches should be
generated (and how, thinking about descriptions). And with (an
improved (and renamed) version of) `_verbose_list' one could get this
`first-this-and-then-that' behaviour.

This is big (quite some work), but if done well, should hopefully keep
us from more such requests (or simplify implementing them).

We'll need some more discussion about this, though. Or maybe people
are already fed up with increasing complexity.

Bye
 Sven