Re: simulation of dabbrev-expand

Adam Spiers wrote:

> How can I ensure that there are no duplicate words in the list of
> matches?  Even if this isn't the real problem I'm experiencing, it may
> well help narrow it down.

Bart Schaefer answered:

> The completion system *should* be handling this for you, but I'm going to
> leave that bug to Sven, [ ... ]

Hm, actually I don't think this is a bug -- at least it is intended
behaviour. Although I admit that I partly did this for performance
reasons. So, should duplicates always be removed or should this be an
option (we're in trouble with `compctl', then -- no more option
letters).

> This questions leads me to another: we have
> all these variables at our disposal in the widget functions for
> examining the completion system's state in great detail ... but the
> one thing we still can't do (AFAICS) is actually see what completions
> have currently been calculated.  If there was a special array
> parameter, `completions' say, then things like removing duplicate
> matches, or choosing your own match sorting algorithm (although heaven
> forbid I would ever need to implement a quicksort in zsh :-) would
> become possible in the shell functions.  Have I missed something here?

You've missed some mails in which I wrote something about this. See
6117 and 6119 (and somewhere before that, but I don't have this in my
list any more, it seems).

Bye
 Sven