"exec zsh" inside .zprofile doesn't set SHELL

Hello:

I'm using my own precompiled version of zsh because I have some bugs/issues
in zsh 3.0.5.  I don't have access to write root's area, so I compiled my
own.  After setting my $path, at the end of my .zprofile, I do:

exec zsh

ZSH_VERSION gets set properly to 3.1.6 in my login shell, but SHELL is set
to /usr/intel/97r1.3/bin/zsh, which is the production version.  As a
result, subshells spawned after that are incorrectly set to the old
version.  I don't want to force the setting of SHELL (I had a similar
problem with tcsh a long while back), I think the job of a shell is to set
its own variable.

Bug?

-Clint