Re: PATCH: emulate (Re: Prompt fun)

On Oct 7, 11:41am, Zefram wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: emulate (Re: Prompt fun)
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
} >   emulate -L zsh
} >+  setopt extendedglob
}
} This shouldn't be causing confusion.  emulate is supposed to set all
} (and only) the options that can affect the behaviour of a script.
} The patch below fixes this.

I disagree with a number of these changes, particularly promptbang,
promptpercent, and promptsubst.  Most scripts do not alter the values
of PS[1234], and resetting the prompt-expansion options will cause the
user's settings to display as garbage in conjunction with either use
of "select" loops or (as of 3.1.6) "setopt xtrace"/"set -x".

I further think it's unwise to have emulate reset either errexit or
"exec" -- though I don't see how it could possibly make any difference
to the latter, as emulate itself won't be executed if exec isn't set.

I don't have any really strong feelings about the others, though there
may be room for some debate as to how many of them are "likely to cause
portability problems in scripts and functions."  Certainly I agree with
some of the changes, e.g. the history options ought *not* to be reset.

} The patch quoted above is still necessary; EXTENDED_GLOB is unset
} by default even in zsh mode.  Would changing that break any scripts?

Yes, it would break some of my scripts.