Re: _rpm crashes zsh

Sven Wischnowsky writes:

> Kevin Sullivan wrote:
>
> > I was very happy when I saw the _rpm completion widget show up in the
> > recent distributions. However, I am having a problem with it. One of
> > the ways that I use rpm is to get information about a specific rpm I
> > have in the current directory with:
> >
> > rpm -qip <rpm name>
> >
> > But instead of looking for local packages it simply crashes. I have
> > included a gdb traceback of the problem.

> > I am using Mandrake 6.0 Linux and a straight non-patched version of
> > zsh-3.1.6-pws-6. If there is any more information I can provide let
> > me know.
>
> Either I accidentally deleted a mail or there wasn't a reply to
> this...
>
> I tried but couldn't reproduce this with my pws-6 plus the 40+ patches
> that appeared in the last weeks. Maybe this is fixed by Bart's 8151?
> (At least it looks like a memory problem...)

Having not gotten an answer to the query I set off to figure it out
myself. I have a plain pws-6 version. Perhaps I should try Bart's 8151
but in any event let me tell you what I found out.

During the config process I enabled: --enable-zsh-mem
--enable-zsh-secure-free --enable-zsh-mem-warning --enable-zsh-debug
and --enable-zsh-mem-debug.

When I fired up zsh and attempted:

my_prompt_here> rpm -q My<TAB>

I got this error/warning message: 'BUG: attempt to free already free
storage'

So I fired up gdb put a break at mem.c:977 and mem.c:1054 but for some
reason I was unable to get it to repeat under gdb.. Well I ran out of
time and was happy with simply enabling --enable-zsh-mem and
--enable-zsh-secure-free. I wanted to get a stack trace when I got
to the DPUTS warning message, but...

I believe the error message I was seeing was coming from 977 but I
have not verified this.

Thanks, in any event I will try the 8151 patch...

-Kevin Sullavin