Re: PATCH: better control for _cd

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Dec 3,  2:13pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> } Subject: PATCH: better control for _cd
> }
> } This makes _cd use the tags local-directories and path-directories to
> } decide if those in the cwd and/or those in $cdpath should be
> } completed.
>
> Is that really a good idea?  In the event that the same name can be
> resolved either way, "cd" is always going to change to the same one.
> Seeing completions only for one or the other case would be misleading.

Hm. Isn't that a matter of personal taste? And note that the patch
keeps the default behaviour of showing/using all directories. You
have to change _sort_tags explicitly to get only one of them, and when
you do that you probably know what you are doing.

It would probably only be irritating if you choose to try *only* the
directories in $cdpath or to try them *first*. Do you think that our
users need to be saved from this? I.e. should we change _cd to
explicitly disallow this?

> This is one case where I think it should always complete them all and
> always order the groups the way that "cd" is going to choose them
> (that is, local directories first).

The patch also makes directories in `.' be listed first... maybe
that'll help? And with menu-completion you'll get those names first,
of course. Err... one could say that the patch does the ordering you
want.

Bye
 Sven