Re: Version-dependent functions install path

In article <E126JN1-0003cR-00.2000-01-06-20-18-55@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I hope the choice of path (default
> `/usr/local/share/zsh/functions/3.1.6-dev-14', mutatis mutandis) is
> rational.  The version-specific bit comes last, as with the module path,
> and the `share' remains present, despite the version-dependence, because it
> refers to the absence of machine-dependence (it worried me at first, but
> actually I've just noticed Emacs does exactly the same with its lisp code).
> Indeed, this will make it easier to share functions across architectures
> potentially running different versions of the shell.

I think DATADIR/zsh/VERSION/functions is better than
DATADIR/zsh/functions/VERSION because it enables us to collect version
specific stuff other than functions.  Also when a lazy administrater
install zsh-3.1.7 over zsh-3.1.6, a directory structure stays somewhat
clean.

Also, DATADIR/zsh/VERSION/site-functions and
DATADIR/zsh/site-functions should be exist for site specific
modifications and add-on packages.  Currently there is no add-on
packages, though.
--
Tanaka Akira