Good documentation about literal escape sequences in prompt?

%{...%}
        Include a string as a literal escape sequence. The
        string within the braces should not change the cursor
        position. Brace pairs can nest.

Hey, come on! Do you really think that is enough? Why don't you provide some
good examples? I know you can do it better!

For example this does not work:

PS1="%{\e[1;31m%}$PS1%{\e[1m%}"

Just look, what i get:

Normally my PS1 is like this:

1510 | p5 | juhtolv@heresy : /home/juhtolv/apu
%

If I say this:

PS1="%{\e[1;31m%}$PS1%{\e[1m%}"

I get this:

[1;31m$PS1"\e[1;31m1538 | p6 | juhtolv@heresy : /home/juhtolv
% \e[1m

Color-codes were found from /usr/share/zsh/functions/colors

I tried to understand other files in /usr/share/zsh/functions, like _prompt
and promptinit but even it was the real pain in the ass.

So meanwhile I have to use really ugly hacks like these:

PS1="`print -Pn '\e[1;31m'`$PS1 `print -Pn '\e[0m'`"

PS1="`print -Pn '\e[1;31m'``print -Pn '\e[1;43m'`$PS1`print -Pn '\e[0m'`"

--
-- Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * * U of Jyväskylä * * juhtolv@xxxxxxxxx --
-- http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/ * * * * " STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW !! " --