Re: For the MACHINES file: OpenStep/NeXTStep 4.2 and zsh-3.1.6-dev-19

Zefram wrote:
> >Apple/NeXT-supplied cc (version 2.7.2.1)
>
> Is this actually a gcc?  (gcc 2.7.2.1 is a relatively recent version.)
> In what way does it fail?

	Well, yes and no.  NeXT modified gcc with some Objective C goodies
and shipped it with their development environment.  I always assumed they
maintained approximate version number compatibility, but I don't know for
sure.

	The failure is a memory problem of some kind.  Issue a command, like
"ls", and you get the output and then a hang.

	I spent a fair bit of time (with Bart's help) trying to diagnose it
with 3.1.6-bart7, but I'm no expert and I ultimately got nowhere -- you can
read about it in the mailing list archives from Oct 17-25.  It was made
especially hard by the fact that turning on the memory debugging killed the
compile completely.

	One interesting question I can't answer is whether Apple OS X
machines (which are closely related) will successfully compile 3.1.6.

> >Apple/NeXT-supplied awk (version unknown)
>
> This is interesting.  Again, in what way does it fail?  The awk scripts
> we use are intended to be as widely portable as possible.

I too was surprised they did not work, but I did not try debugging them.
Here is what happens (after a successful ./configure):

creating Src/Zle/Makefile
awk -f ./signames1.awk /usr/include/bsd/sys/signal.h >sigtmp.c
cc -E -traditional-cpp sigtmp.c >sigtmp.out
awk -f ./signames2.awk sigtmp.out > signames.c
rm -f sigtmp.c sigtmp.out
grep 'define.*SIGCOUNT' signames.c > sigcount.h
Updated `zsh.mdh'.
echo 'timestamp for zsh.mdh against zsh.mdd' > zsh.mdhs
awk -f ../Src/makepro.awk builtin.c Src > builtin.syms
awk: syntax error near line 15
awk: illegal statement near line 15
<Lots more syntax errors deleted>
awk: bailing out near line 107
awk: newline in regular expression near line 107
*** Exit 2
*** `builtin.syms' removed
Stop.

		Best Regards,