Re: updating development versions and Re: bug in FAQ

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
>                                     Incidentally, the source as taken
>from CVS seems to be quite a bit smaller - what does it lack (other than
>configure).

Built man and info pages.  To do a proper source release, which includes
these things, you need to have the whole thing configured, so that you
can do a "make targz-src".

>                                                     As Adam points out,
>it is not ideal that the main page is only a list of pointers. Who owns
>and pays for zsh.org?

It's owned by the Zsh Development Group, and I pay for it.  Geoff is in
technical control.  (whois would have told you that much.)  I never got
involved in the webby side of things, I left that up to Geoff to handle
(how's that for passing the buck).  Personally I don't have a problem with
the current arrangement of http://www.zsh.org/ being merely a meta-index
page, but I can see why people would find it annoying.  It may well be
preferable to have www.zsh.org just do a redirect to the `real' pages,
which should incorporate the meta-index material.

>          It may be easier to have the main web pages at sourceforge.

It may well be.  Web pages that the main developers can directly write to
definitely sounds like an improvement on the current situation, regardless
of who's nominally maintaining them.  An even better situation (though
more difficult to set up) would be to have the web pages mirrored in
multiple locations; perhaps www.zsh.org could dynamically redirect to a
(random|careful)ly chosen mirror.

-zefram