More SourceForge issues (Was: Completion issues)

Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
:I've update the ChangeLog for the stuff from yesterday... but rcs2log
:is completely unusable for me because it takes ages (so long that I
:haven't let it run until the end).

rcs2log is really only useful for generating your own ChangeLog entry.
Previous commits by someone else which aren't in the ChangeLog would
need manual adjustment of names & email addresses.  Even if run on
sourceforge (to speed it up) it would still need email addresses updated.
However, I might have missed the decision on how ChangeLog is to be
updated but I would have presumed that people would use useful commit
messages and then the ChangeLog could be generated just before a release
from those messages (and name/email addresses can be replaced then) - the
only real difference to our current ChangeLog format being that files
affected are also listed (and it might not be quite as pretty)

:Is there a tool to get a ChangeLog
:entry template from a diff? Or do I have to write that myself?

One other option is to overload the (currently) theoretical aggregating
commit message tool to also dump info out to some other area (although this
is more complicated since it's hosted on another machine to that we can
run tools on).  Of course, if each developer is responsible for updating
ChangeLog hirself then just save the commit message file to something else
when you're committing and then you've got it handy.
(Or the longer way would be do rcs2log on just those files you updated and
use the appropriate part of ChangeLog generated).

Do people on zsh-workers want to see all these SourceForge messages (to
keep abreast with what's happening or whatever) or is it more suitable
off this list to amongst those developing on SourceForge?

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@xxxxxxxxx>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@xxxxxxxx>      Ego URL : http://pobox.com/~gcw/