Re: Still problems with scriptname (presumably)

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> > Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > > % zsh -c 'echo '\' this_is_not_the_command_name
> > > this_is_not_the_command_name:-1: unmatched '
> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > this is the bit I object to, the error message is OK.
> >
> > But then I tried ksh and bash. ksh doesn't give me an error (?!?) and
> > bash does the same as zsh currently does.
>
> You're right, and in fact I've known about this for ages and mentioned it
> before and was just thinking about it today and the penny still didn't
> drop... Bourne shell derivatives when they use -c set $0 to the first
> argument.  That needs to be kept.  There's no reason for an option which
> will just add to the confusion.

You'll have noticed that my patch (still not committed) doesn't change
$0, it just keeps that from being used as the `name' for printing
errors and warnings.

So... ;-)

(I'd be in favour of using the patch, the current behaviour looks so weird.)

Bye
 Sven