Re: PATCH: AIX dep.&doc fix; development guidelines

Bart Schaefer wrote:
>Our own sequence numbers?  I can't imagine anyone who's not on the mailing
>list making any sense of four or five separate sets of sequence numbers.
>Heck, I am on the mailing list and I wouldn't want to try to make sense
>of it.

See what I've done with my two patches today, labelled "zefram1" and
"zefram2".  I don't see this getting confusing.  It'd get confusing
if people actually used non-unique patch IDs, granted, so let's get it
right right from the start, OK?

>        Exactly what am I going to grep, anyway?

grep for the full unique patch ID (e.g., "zefram2").  The first mention
is overwhelmingly likely to be the patch you're looking for; the ID
appears in the ChangeLog hunk, so you could narrow down your grepping
a bit on that basis.

>                                                                     How
>do I get Sven's number 22396 and not Peter's?

"wischnow22396" vs "pws22396".

>And what about people who don't have commit access who mail patches to
>the list?

Their patches get committed, by Peter, after they've been mailed.
They can be identified everywhere (commit log, ChangeLog, etc.) by
mailing list sequence number.

-zefram