RE: Question

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > A matter of replacing `shout' in several places with the pipe. But
> > then there is the issue of starting the external command... And what
> > to do with menu-selection? And the terminal codes used by complist?
>
> Yes, exactly for this reason I'd really prefer built-in solution if at
> all possible. Keybinding is not an issue here (not really). But, of
> course, not in this release.
>
> > Oh my, and I only asked if it would be better to mention the
> > number of
> > lines needed for the list when asking if it should be displayed... ;-)
> >
> > And noone has answered that yet (unless Andrej meant that it would be
> > better).
>
> I have not answered because I do not actually care. What matters to me
> is the ability to see the full list. If I'm on X11 I can scroll - and if
> I'm on tty, it does not help anyway.  May be, something like "output
> does not fit on screen" would be nice - currently, it is not obvious.
> That is, there are two cases
>
> - list can be shown in full, but user set it to small value
> - ilst does not fit at all
>
> To distinguish between them is nice.

This is done by the value of $LISTMAX:

- zero: ask if list is bigger than screen
- positive: ask if more matches than that
- negative: ask if more lines than that

Hm, maybe if we turn it into a scalar and make a value of `scroll' (or
`page') allow a very simple pager, builtin (which I, too, definitely
prefer), that is used if the list doesn't fit on the screen, with a
few keys:

- space: next screen (surprise!)
- return: next line
- q: stop listing
- <any>: stop listing and process key as usual

Going back in the list is a problem...

> The problem is, with all power of Zsh completion, I'm getting in habit
> to simply press TAB and see list of command options :-) And it is
> exactly this case, when output mostly does not fit on a screen.

I like to hear that. The first sentence, that is ;-)

Bye
 Sven