Matching Control with anchors between characters

I don't completely understand matching control.  I use it and it's wonderful,
but it's still a mystery to me.  I did attempt to read the manual a bit when I
was first converting over to zsh.  One thing that seemed to be missing, was the
ability to specify anchors between characters.  In particular, I wanted to
configure anchors between numbers and non-numbers so that f2 could match
something like filesystem2.  None of the examples seemed to talk about this.

Since, there is some discussion about patterns that match the gaps between
characters, it would be nice if this would also work for the anchor patterns of
matching control.

Or maybe someone will just point out my misunderstanding and supply a matching
specification that does what I want.  I'd be willing to add the example to the
manual.

Thanks.
-FR