Re: PATCH: completion for file descriptors

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:

> Yes, function moving and ordering before 4.0...

What you suggest for the basic stuff sounds good to me.

> The other stuff is harder to decide. _rpm, for example can also be
> useful on non-Linux systems. I don't know debian, but I guess the
> commands from that directory can be useful elsewhere, too. So maybe we
> should package the functions in a way that reflects what the commands
> do (network, package-managers, ...).

That is a bit more diffcult. I think I would prefer to stick to
directories which group together commands which users will generally
have all or none of as it is easier to specify whether you want a whole
directory than to pick and choose from specific commands taking each on
their own. I expect that it is fairly rare for someone to use rpm on
something other than Linux. Would there be problems involved in making
the installation of the functions intelligently only pick out
completions for commands which exist on the system?

> (And now Andrej comes and
> says that we should put all the GNU commands on the side... which
> wouldn't work with the ordering-by-what-they-do, of course. I still
> think there should be only one function per command and we try to find
> out what to complete by investigating the environment inside the
> functions.)

I agree with you on this. It keeps things all together better than if we
say had 10 different completions for the same command on different
systems so it is easier to make useful changes affect all the different
systems where they have commonality. It is common for GNU stuff to be
installed alongside originals, sometimes in a different directory and
sometimes with a different name and it would be important to me that
completion for these works.

I've attached my AIX specific completions. I haven't put them in cvs or
anything but when you (or whoever) come to sort out the directories, a
place could be found for them (and those FreeBSD ones someone sent
yesterday). I've actually got a few more AIX (and IRIX) completions but
they are very old (pre-_arguments) and could really do with a rewrite.

Oliver