Re: PATCH: Re: _netscape

Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> > > Note that _files can no longer complete subdirectories if you give it a
> > > -S option which is something other than a slash. _files should only add
> > > the suffix after a file (and possible after an empty directory).
>
> > Sometimes you want it, sometimes not...
>
> When might you not want it (the slash)? If you don't want to decend
> directories, it would be easier to use compadd * than _files. I'd have
> thought that in the vast majority of cases, the passed suffix would be
> wanted only after a file or empty directory.

When completing only directories.

> > The way suffixes are handled has mostly historical reasons and, yes,
> > it is a bit simple minded. If someone wants to help to improve it, I'd
> > like to have a short and comprehensive list of things one might want
> > to do, so that we can discuss it easliy and find the (hopefully few)
> > basic things we need for that. With that we could then think about
> > changing the code. Ok? (I don't think I'll have much time to think
> > about this...)
>
> I'll try to come up with such a list but it may be a little while before
> I have time. Does anyone know of any parts of the completion system
> where there is an interesting sitation or currently not very good
> handling of suffixes: it might be useful if I investigate a few
> different instances first.

You have every time you want or need, I don't think we really need to
do this before 3.1.7.

And, no, off the top of my head I can't think of places where
suffix-handling caused that much trouble.

Oh, and, btw, when thinking about suffix handling, we should probably
also re-think the -R stuff (auto-removal in general). Maybe we find
something better, maybe we don't...

Bye
 Sven