Context-sensitive ZLE

Now that the completion system is able to set up all this wonderful context,
I'm wondering about being able to use it elsewhere in zle.

For example, I'd like backward-kill-word to stop at dots when I'm editing
an IP address in an ssh or telnet command, but to delete past dots and stop
at slashes when I'm editing a file name.

It can almost be done with a completion function that figures out how to
modify the word and then calls compadd -U, but that doesn't work for e.g.
transpose-words (or anything else that spans more than one word).