RE: PATCH: test for network libraries (for test only)/problems with name resolution

As I got no reply, if it really fixed the bug it was supposed to, I was about
to renounce this one. But somebody (Peter?) silently committed it (without
ChangeLog) :-)

I would really prefer to leave it out for a while. So far there was a single
complaint and no responce if it works now, but this patch broke too much here.

If anybody else complaints we can return to it.

-andrej