ZLE multi-key sequences and send-break

Here's something that's annoyed me about zle for a long time ...

If one types a prefix of a multi-key sequence -- say, typing ESC in emacs
mode -- and then realizes that was a mistake, there's no graceful way to
change your mind.  Typing ^G at that point aborts not the key sequence in
progress, but the entire editor, throwing you back to the PS1 prompt.

I was in the midst of adding `bindkey \\e\^G beep' to my .zshrc when I
came to the conclusion that I should mention this to zsh-workers.