Re: PATCH: Re: Delaying menu completion

On Aug 14, 10:21am, martin.ebourne@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
}
} Someone will need to check the patch because I don't fully understand
} what's going on - its a combination of cut & paste and trial & error coding
} in there. ;)

You don't want this line:

} +      [[ "$_old_match_string" = "$PREFIX$SUFFIX$HISTNO" &&

The _old_match_string variable is used only by the _match completer.
If you were to try using _approximate without _match, it would stop
working.  If you want this behavior, you should change the name to
_old_approx_string and also copy the code from _match that sets it.

} > } Problem 2
} > Unfortunately $compstate[old_list] is not available until after you
} > enter one of the completion widgets, so you're going to need a helper
} > function of some kind, that will be used as the non-menu completion
} > widget, and that sets a global variable that can be tested in place
} > of $compstate when you invoke _menu_or_down.
}
} Ah, yes, that's what I needed.  [...]
}
}    _is_completing() {
}      [[ $compstate[old_list] == shown ]] && _completing=1
}    }
}    zle -C is-completing complete-word _is_completing

I'd suggest

   _is_completing() {
     _completing=$compstate[old_list]
   }

That way you can differentiate "yes" and "shown" in case you don't have
autolist set, or are using bashautolist.

Also, I'm not entirely certain, but you may need/want to make it

   _is_completing() {
     _completing=$compstate[old_list]
     compstate[old_list]=keep
   }

The end result is probably the same, but keeping the old list will mean
that `zle menu-complete' doesn't have to recompute it.  (I'm actually
not entirely sure what happens to the list when you invoke a completion
widget from another zle widget, but the doc implies it'll be cleared
when the completion widget finishes if old_list is not keep.)

Also, setting old_list to keep causes the widget to correctly propagate
its exit status, should you end up wanting to test `if zle is-completing'
again at some point.