zsh: fatal error: out of memory

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

I run zsh on many different machines..  on some of them
I get the following error when I attempt to run zsh. -

	zsh: fatal error: out of memory

I removed the .zshenv and .zshrc files on these machines,
and I unset the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables to see
if it would help..   but I got the same error..   Some of
the machines were able to run zsh previously..   I re-compiled
the shell.. same thing..   I tried multiple versions - 3.1.5,
3.1.6, and 4.0.1 ...  all failed the same way..  I dont believe
the machine is really out of memory either..  I ran top and
noticed over a gig of free memory..

I am out of ideas..

All of these machines are Sun SPARC boxes running
solaris 2.6..

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated..

Monty