Re: multibyte backwarddeletechar

> implementation. Using wchar looks portable but the immediate problem is
> that conventional str* functions stop working. Using UTF-8 is appealing

Since there are wide equivalents for most str* functions, that's not
too severe a problem.

I did try once to replace shingetline with something that called
a shingetwline (using wide equivalents) then ran it through wcstombs()
to return the char * that was wanted.  It didn't function properly;
probably something I don't understand about wide characters.