Re: zpty

Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> I'm new to this mailing list.  I've been using zsh for a while.
> Recently I found out that zpty actually does not work on my Linux
> system.

[This is about the internals and should really go to zsh-workers rather
than zsh-users, so I've redirected this follow up.]

> As I digged into the code, I saw those old-style /dev/ptyxx heuristics
> which may not work on some modern Linux systems because the location is
> changed to /dev/pts/xx.  Meanwhile there's an API in glibc for dealing
> with pseudo terminals.  So I reworked that code a bit.
>
> Now it works fine for me.  Of course it's not portable, it works with
> glibc only.  But glibc is one of the most popular libc implementation,
> and it works not on Linux systems only.  So please consider whether this
> can be useful somehow.

This is very useful, thank you, but as with the NIS/NIS+ patch I just
commented on, it can't go in without some configuration test.  It looks
like testing for getpt, grantpt and unlockpt functions in zshconfig.ac
might do the trick (I see it also does some streams handling, which is
kernel-specific and we can't really assume, either), so we might be able
to do it; however, it won't happen straight away.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Work: pws@xxxxxxx