compctl fails to load

I am using zsh 4.0.6 emulating ksh and I have trouble loading the
zsh/compctl module at login...

Last login: Thu Dec  4 10:16:12 2003 from act_test
zsh: failed to load module: zsh/compctl

If I try to use completion control, I get errors...
$ ls b
zsh: failed to load module: zsh/compctl
$ ls b
zsh: failed to load module: zsh/compctl

If I run these two commands I can successfully load compctl

$ zmodload zsh/complete
$ zmodload zsh/compctl

However, the zmodload commands do not work if I put them in .profile
for a specific user...

Last login: Thu Dec  4 10:47:28 2003 from act_test
/mso/.profile:13: failed to load module: zsh/complete
/mso/.profile:14: failed to load module: zsh/compctl

If I login as a user whose default shell is bash, and type ksh
at the prompt I get...

$ ksh
zsh: failed to load module: zsh/compctl

Any ideas why zsh/compctl is not loading correctly?
I am running redhat linux version 9, with kernel...
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 20
 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
and default redhat package for version 9...
$ rpm -qa |grep zsh
zsh-4.0.6-5