About the zftp module

    Hi all :))

    This message is directed mainly to Peter Stephenson, who is AFAIK
the author of the zftp module, but anyone interested is welcome ;)

    In zsh 4.0.9, the main problems of zsh/zftp still are there: lack
of signal handling, which makes impossible to stop a transfer, large
transfers (any transfer so long that makes the control connection
dissapear) make zftp hang (it doesn't respond when the transfer is
finished), etc... I want to make clear that some of this behaviour
can be, as always, my fault.

    My question is: are plans to solve this in future versions? In
this state, zsh/zftp is almost unusable, but OTOH is the better ftp
client I've ever used, since I can use the full power of zsh command
line handling with it. I really like it, but for me is very annoying
to have to stop transfer using 'kill -9', and things like that.

    I have a unfinished proyect (although usable, I think) of TCP and
UDP sockets, that support timeouts and nonblocking transfers, that
can be useful for zftp. It is unfinished and undocumented, but since
is a wrapper around the socket interface, it's pretty easy to use.
It's just that: an object oriented wrapper encapsulating the socket
access in an easy and simple interface, written in C and GPL'd. If
you want to take a look at it, feel free to ask. This may or may not
be a partial solution: I have read some of the code of the zftp module
and I'm not sure that my code will be suitable, but there is nothing
to loose in suggesting ;))

    As an interim solution what I do is to run zftp in a separate
interactive shell instance, so if I must kill it I don't loose my
background jobs and the like.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736