Re: redo of 16845

Peter wrote:

> Mentioning it in the installation notes should be good enough, since
> you can just set `link=no auto=no' in config.modules to avoid the
> problem completely.  (Alternatively, we could set link=no in pcre.mdd.)
> Either of these should avoid the need to remove it.

That doesn't help. configure has already decided that it needs to link
against the pcre library because there is nothing in configure.ac which
links the pcre setup to having the pcre module.

Also, with a solution like that you suggest, people packaging for
Linux distributions are possibly going to enable the pcre module. Since
self-building zsh tends to result in an install in /usr/local, it is
going to be mostly packaged copies of zsh that people use before /usr
is mounted. We can always branch for 4.2.0 if we want to make changes
specific to it.

Oliver