Re: PATCH: case-insensitive globbing

In message <20040308124027.GA15505@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
on Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:40:27PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <5792.1078749261@xxxxxxx>
> on Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:34:21PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > > % ls /tmp/blah
> > > DATE
> > > % rehash
> > > % where date
> > > /tmp/blah/date
> > > /bin/date

But, now I note:

% where DATE
/tmp/blah/DATE
/bin/DATE

So...fair enough. An odd experience, but does make sense. For all I
know, this might even be an Apply kludge to make ported POSIX software
work in a case-insensitive environment (I haven't looked at how zsh
queries the OS for these files). [BTW: I received your reply after I
had already written this e-mail.] On a related note:

% ls -l =date
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19276 24 Sep 14:51 /bin/date*
% ls -l =DATE
-r-xr-xr-x  1 admin  wheel  19276 24 Sep 14:51 /tmp/blah/DATE*

Not complaining about this -- just pointing it out so that everyone's
aware of it. I don't know how this and other such letter-case issues are
handled in Cygwin. Perhaps there could be a footnote to the caseglob