Re: 4.2.0-pre-3; HP-UX

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> I think they expire your account if you don't use it for a while. My old
> one from when it was still Compaq has gone. Anyway, I signed up again.

Excellent.

> It builds okay but can't load all the modules - some such as zle and
> files load, others like complete and math won't.

But they compile OK?  Error messages?  Might simply be missing library
functions.

> There are also plenty of warnings:
>
> Warning 942: "module.c", line 429 # Types 'void *' and 'int' are not
>     assignment-compatible.
>             ret = dlopen(unmeta(buf), RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_GLOBAL);
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a missing header.

> Warning 361: "init.c", line 1204 # Value-returning function might end without
>     executing a return statement.
>     zsh_main(int argc, char **argv)
>     ^^^^^^^^

Ignorable.

> A few of these:
> Warning 1042: "jobs.c", line 421 # Subscript out of range.
>         if (sigtrapped[SIGCHLD] && job != thisjob)
>                        ^^^^^^^
> That also occurs for SIGWINCH, SIGPIPE and SIGALRM.

Suggests the awk script for signals screwed up.

> Then there are many many warnings like this:
>
> This warning comes up a lot for many times in different places:
> Warning 952: "compctl.c", line 608 # Conversion of 'const char *' to 'char *'
>     loses 'const'.
>                         *argv = "" - 1;
>                         ^^^^^^
>
> What is that code trying to do? Isn't that taking the address of a
> constant string. Seems dodgy to me.

Harmless.  We're not strict about `const'.  It would be nice to be,
but when you start going down that road you find you have to change
*everything*.  It's a hack so that argv[1] contains a NULL --- not a
particularly nice one.

> Then, this warning:
> Warning 942: "zle_refresh.c", line 527 # Types 'unsigned char *' and 'char *'
>     are not assignment-compatible.
>             s = nbuf[tosln - 1];
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> And, the same for zle_refresh.c:536,542,551 and zle_thingy.c:656

This is mostly fixed up by using STOUC where necessary, but more
consistency of pointers would be better.

> I also tried compiling on the Tru64 5.1 machine. It warns about many
> unresolved things after linking each shared library. These look like the
> things which will be resolved when they are loaded at runtime. We could
> turn off the warnings with the option `-expect_unresolved *'
>
> It stops at an error though:
>
> cc -c -I.  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DMODULE -O  -o terminfo..o terminfo.c
> cc: Error: /usr/include/curses.h, line 125: In this declaration, "DO" has no
> linkage and has a prior declaration in this scope at line number 212 in file
> ../../Src/zsh.h. (nolinkage)
>                 *DM, *DO, *ED, *EI, *K0, *K1, *K2, *K3, *K4, *K5, *K6,
> ---------------------^

It's probably defined somewhere else.  We could rename those arguments.

> I don't have so much time at the moment either but if we're not in a
> rush for 4.2, we should be able to get zsh working on the different
> operating systems. Would it perhaps be worth putting out a 4.1.2 now to
> get the code a bit more testing and allow it to get into Linux
> distributions?

Frankly, I'm hanged if I personally am going to go round changing all
the version numbers again, but I don't mind releasing 4.2.0 and warning
users of HP-UX and AIX they may want to wait.  Nobody expects versions
ending in `0' to work anyway.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com