Re: zpty on HP/UX

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> I've got zpty to work on HP/UX. I looked at pts(7) and tried the example
> in there.
>
> Basically it needs the ioctl streams stuff but not the ttcompat bit. See
> the patch below to see what needed removing. Note that this isn't a patch
> I intend to apply but merely in indication of the changes. We need to
> sort out the #if stuff.
>
> We can put the ttcompat ioctl inside a #ifndef __hpux but the __SVR4
> part is going to cause us problems. What systems was that added to cover?

The bits marked #if ... defined(__SVR4) are really there for Solaris.  I
asked if anyone knew other systems which needed the STREAMS stuff but
apparently no one did.  This was my best guess as to systems which might
need it.  The additional test turned out to be necessary because
allowing those ioctl's to run on some Linux systems (where STREAMS was
present) screwed things up.  Linux doesn't define __SVR4.

Unless someone turns out to be a secret STREAMS expert we are stuck with
doing it machine by machine, i.e. adding __hpux where necessary.
I don't see a good reason for changing from __SVR4 for the other case.

(Does STREAMS still have a use apart from screwing things up if it isn't
handled as a special case?)

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com