Re: zsh exits after delete-char-or-list and two ^Cs

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Peter Stephenson wrote:

> (Oliver says the In-reply-to and References format should work better
> like this.  Tell me if it doesn't.)

(Looks fine.  What are you using as a mail reader?)

> Bart Schaefer wrote:
> >   zle && echo "widgets callable"	# I'm least certain of this
> >   zle -I && echo "Display invalidated and widgets callable"
> >   zle -R && echo "Display refreshed and zle active"
> >
> > Is that right?
>
> Yes, noting that testing for `display invalidated' and `display
> refreshed' doesn't form part of the return status (I think that's what
> you mean but it's not clear from the output).

Hmm.  OK, that's not so good, because it breaks "zle -I || ..." in the
case where you want to know whether the display was NOT invalidated.
(Maybe there's never a reason to care about that, but ...)

> I agree, it's just a question of how much of a stickler you are for
> having the return status reflecting `command did what I expected' rather
> than `command did something and tested for something else'.

I'm quite willing to have "zle -I" go back to testing for "invalidating
the display was a sensible thing to attempt" provided that "zle" (no args)
tests for "widgets callable", and that all of this is documented more
clearly.

> I want to emphasis calling zle -I multiple times has no bad effect.
> Maybe the English for that is "calling zle -I multiple times has no bad
> effects".

Yeah.