Re: characters not added in _rsync completion

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:41:52PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > I'm puzzled why the version of rsync itself makes any difference,
> > because _rsync specifies everything explicitly, so unless you've
> > edited _rsync it won't ever complete those options.
>
> This is not how it works on my system.  The _rsync script appears to be
> querying rsync to ask it what options it supports, and combining that
> list with the list in _rsync.

I've belatedly spotted that _rsync does in fact pass the "--" option to
_arguments, which causes it to parse the --help output.

> > Without plunging into the why of it, a cursory inspection seems to
> > indicate that when an option has an argument then zsh fails to find
> > the longest common prefix among that option and any other options that
> > do NOT
>
> It's strange that the --no<TAB> case doesn't match this idea.

Hrm.  Well, I did say it was a cursory inspection.

Fooling around with how this behaves in interactive menu selection is ...
unfortunately pretty much the opposite of "enlightening."